Home » Blog » 5 Signs that Indicate Potential Electrical Problems and Future Emergencies

5 Signs that Indicate Potential Electrical Problems and Future Emergencies

Electrical malfunctions can be very dangerous and can easily cause house fires. Electrical problems that are not identified or not handled quickly may cause serious damage to your house and will put your family in danger. To ensure that your home is safe, you should have a professional inspect your electrical systems at least once every ten years. To make sure you pick up on potential problems, look out for these signs.

Lights that dim or flicker – Dimming and flickering lights are rarely a sign of problems with the fixtures. It is much more likely a problem with larger appliances that draw a lot of power. If these appliances and the lights are on the same circuit it could cause the flickering and dimming. You can ask an electrician Hobart to put the lights on their own circuit.

Strange smells – If strange smells are coming from new appliances after you have used it a few times, it may indicate a problem. It is normal to have a strange smell the first few times, but after that, it should go away. Strange smells coming from outlets, fuse boxes, or breaker panels may also indicate an electrical problem. Contact an electrical specialist as soon as you notice these smells.

Overheating switch plates or outlets – Any outlets and appliances that become hot when used may indicate a wiring problem. Appliances that are meant to produce heat will only become warm and won’t feel like they are overheating. Appliances and outlets that feel hot even when they are not used should be checked out by an electrician Launceston.

Sparks – Sparks are almost never a good sign. Depending on where they are coming from you need to call an electrician or an appliance repair person.

Too many extension cords – An excess of extension cords can cause problems. Extension cords create more opportunities for cables and wiring to be kinked, chewed, shorted, stepped on, and otherwise damaged. This damage can cause overloads or fires.

Keep a look out for these signs to prevent major electrical problems. Anything that looks and feels out of order should be checked out. Damaged wiring and overheating may indicate serious problems and dangers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *