It is important to inspect wiring often to make sure everything is in order. Faulty wiring can be a fire hazard and can cause electrical shock. These are dangers that you don’t want in your home around your family. You should do frequent inspections, but once you notice a potential problem, call the professionals. Never try to fix electrical problems without the necessary knowledge.
Look for these signs that indicate damaged or faulty wiring:
Frayed or chewed wires – Rodents like chewing on wiring and inexperienced handymen can also cause damage to wiring. Wires that are damaged are a big fire hazard.
Notice your circuit breaker trip frequency. It is normal for circuit breakers to trip when the system is overloaded. Normally, you would just switch it back on, maybe reduce the number of appliances running at the same time, and continue as usual. However, if your circuit breaker trips multiple times a month you may want to have it checked out. It could mean a larger problem is present that you are not aware of.
Buzzing, flickering, and dimming lights. These could be signs of damaged or faulty wiring. Even if your circuit breaker doesn’t trip, buzzing sounds when you use several appliances or dimming and flickering of lights may indicate wiring problems.
Scorch marks or discoloration. If you notice any scorch marks or discoloration on your power outlets there is definitely something wrong with your wiring. Has it checked out immediately as it is releasing heat that it shouldn’t?
Outlets that feel warm or vibrate. Outlets should not emit heat or vibrate when they are in use or when they are not. When this happens, it means that something is wrong and the currents are building somewhere or releasing heat when it shouldn’t.
Any of these signs can indicate serious problems with the wiring in your home. Has it checked out immediately before the problem gets worse and you may need to rewire your entire home electrical system?